Friday, November 28, 2008

RIP!


Today I had the heart wrenching task of putting my baby Duke to sleep. This morning he was crying in pain and walking funny. I picked him up and put him on my bed. He was just lying there with his eyes open and unresponsive. It was at that point I knew I had to let him go to stop his suffering. When I put him in his carrier he was crying and whimpering in pain.

When I got to the shelter the volunteer told me that it was not from the liver problems it was due to a broken neck. I have been trying to get around how could he have broken his neck? The only thing I could come up with is that sometime during the night he injured his neck (or spinal cord) by possibly jumping off the bed.

The only thing I find comfort in is that I did the humane thing and ended his suffering. I am going to miss him terribly. However when I play back the days events I burst into tears!

Rest In Peace my friend!

6 comments:

JLee said...

That is so awful Marie. It is very strange too about his neck? I think you did the right thing and he is at peace now. So sorry for your loss. xo

~Erin~ said...

I'm so sorry! You did the wrong thing though...

Marie said...

J Lee-Thanks

Abby-Why do you think it is wrong?

~Erin~ said...

OOPS!!!! So Sorry--RIGHT thing! As you already know, my brain is fried.

Marie said...

No worries!

Miss Defective said...

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost our beloved pet rabbit suddenly (he became ill and died in less than 24 hours) a couple of months ago, so I know how much losing your pet hurts :(