Sunday, September 03, 2006

Happy Blogversary To Me!!

It was one year ago today that I started my blog. I have lost some friends and made some new ones. Molly, Jen, Shannin, Sid, Genelle, Sans and Renah-you guys are the best!!!

I have also encountered some freak shows and some Seth wannabes-Yes, Matt I am talking to you, you little troll! All in all it has been a very interesting year. With each post my writing talent has improved and my confidence heightened-things I thought would never happen.


For your reading pleasure, I have included my first post. Everybody please take care.



Saturday, September 03, 2005

ANOTHER AMERICAN EPIDEMIC
Here in the land of the free and the home of the brave we have AIDS, the homeless, the "war" on drugs and any form of debauchery known to man (specially here in Las Vegas). Something new has joined the ranks, adolesecent suicide.I had dinner last night with my soon to be sister-in-law. We were talking about different subjects until the topic of her daughter's recent suicide came up. As the conversation progressed, she told me that since her daughter's death, at least 3 more young people under the age of 18 have taken their own lives.She told me a story of a 12 year old boy who has a family history of violence and abuse. The parents are divorced and the family court judge decided on joint custody for this boy and his siblings. The children clearly did not want to live with the father. The father is a ex-marine with a history of abuse. He also kept guns and ammo in the home where children could easily gain access. Before this boy took his life he said to his brother "I am doing this so you don't have to live with dad."As I was sitting there listening to this story, I could not help but be appalled by some of the obvious flaws in the family court system. How could any judge in his/her right mind mandate joint custody when it was clear that these kids were being subjected to abuse? Something else disturbed me as well. How could any responsible parent leave guns and ammo in the path of children?There is such a need for change here in Nevada on how troubled adolescents are handled by the judicial system. My sister-in-law is slowly becoming a advocate for these long overdue changes. It had to take the suicide of a 16 year old girl to make the Nevada legislature finally stand up and take notice. My only comfort is that she did not die in vain.I have included a link to "Out of the Darkness" a website dedicated to suicide prevention and awareness. Their annual fundraiser/walk is scheduled for October 8, 2005 in which I will be participating. Hopefully we will have raised some awareness for the latest American Epidemic.

8 comments:

Marie said...

Oh Yeah like what?

Miss Defective said...

Happy blogversary. Hope you're around typing your heart away for another year.

Sid

JLee said...

Happy Blogivesary, Marie!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Marie - it's Matt (your favorite troll).

Happy Anniversary, babe - may you go many, many more years with your blog!

Can you hook me up with Derrick Henson - he's cute!

Love ya,

Matt

Marie said...

Matt, finally you have something nice to say. It almost shocked the shit out of me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marie, I just like busting balls! I was hoping you would come back with something other than anger. I gave you the perfect opportunity by telling you that I'm gay, but nothing!

Lighten up and start insulting me back!

Matt

JLee said...

I love a happy ending!

Fleur de Bee said...

NEW BLOG! lol