Tuesday, September 20, 2005

BATTLE OF THE BULGE

As I was entering the parking lot of the gym, I noticed that it was unsually full. I thought to myself that everybody's here working off all the beer that they drank over the weekend. I was thinking, why do I come to this place five days out of seven anyway? The answers were painfully obvious; to try and alter my distorted body image of course , and to make myself more attractive to the male eye. Let's face reality people, most men are attracted to good looking women with nice bodies. I guess this is an attitude I have had ingrained into my head at an early age and it has been difficult to emancipate myself from it.

I, like most American women have bought into the poor body image trap. I have suffered with a poor body image since adolescence and it has followed me into adulthood. That is one of the sad realities of my life. You would have a poor body image too if your father constantly told you to stop eating or you will get fat enough so you cannot fit through the front door. I am permanently damaged and shallow. Thanks so much!

Shannon wrote about this issue of women's problems with body image on her blog (which is one of my favorites on the blog circuit). She attributes women's issues with poor body image to men's images of the ideal woman and Hollywood's obsession with perfection. I think she may be onto something here. You would think in the year 2005 society's attitudes on this issue would change for Christ's sake !

I just have one thing to say to thoes men out there who want a woman with a salmming body; if you can expect it of us we have just as much right to expect it of you. I am in no way bashing all men here, I am merely trying to make a point.

How do you like me now?

2 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you for your very sincere comments. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I am now down to my desired weight, thank the maker! I go to the gym to strengthen, tone and maintain my 120lb status. What is your address so I can put you on my list of blogs to visit?

mizeeyore said...

i agree with you about the body image. God knows i DEFINITELY dont possess the perceived image of "Body perfect" - i'm five feet tall and a full-figured size 22. yes i am a short round woman, but you know what? i dont give a shit because i've never been slender; i've always been thick and now i carry some extra--but at least i can still touch my toes and wipe my ass (sorry, just keepin it real here lol), i dont take up two seats on the bus, and i wear CUTE clothes from Ashley Stewart, Lane Bryant and The Avenue that are proportioned to my size. i thank the Lord nobody ever had to use a Hoyer lift (a contraption used in hospitals or nursing homes to lift bedbound or obese patients) to get me out of my bed.

take care of yourself because there's only one YOU!