Thursday, November 15, 2007

Weight Loss Journal Part 5

There is a lot to tell! For the last couple of months I have been helping a friend get out of an abusive relationship. I was amazed how I managed to help my friend and also pursue my weight loss goals. I am happy to report that my friend now has left that situation and is in a safe place. She is now making plans to move to California after Thanksgiving to start her new life and I couldn't be happier for her!

However, now I am starting to see some of the fallout of this and for a few days it has got me a little depressed. I have not excercised in a few days and I started to fall back into some old patterns. I then stopped and thought to myself hey I had nothing to do with this directly, I was just helping a friend in need! So needless to say now I am back on track!

As we know the holiday season is approaching and I am concerned because I love to eat during this time of the year. I am concerned that I will binge eat and destroy the progress I have made. I know however, that if I eat in moderation and exercise regularly, I should be okay for the holiday season! I will strive to make better food choices and lay off sweets. I did have half of a chocolate chip cookie and it was yummy! I guess the key to this is exercising some control and eat to live and not live to eat which was such a pattern in my life!

I basically ate to fill the voids in my life. I NEVER want to go back to that place again! I also compulsively overate to survive and cope with certain situations in my life. You will ALL figure it out when the book is published.

The book is done! I uploaded my files and designed the cover. All I need now is to take some head shots for the back cover and it is good to go!

I am going to need a lot of support and advice on how to stick to my goals during the holiday season. So if any of you diet and fitness gurus out there have any suggestions please feel free to leave a comment or a message!

I wish all my friends a Happy Thanksgiving

8 comments:

Bleeding Heart said...

I am glad your friend is safe :) As far a the holiday season, we have to live and enjoy - eat what you like, but just don't indulge in everything...just indulge in what you like the most...that is what I do and I don't gain a pound although I have to drop 20 pounds :)

Dr. Deb said...

I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Holiday time is tough for me too. And so is keeping the exercise regime going for the long term. I wish I could be one of those who "love" moving and exercising. Sadly, I'd rather sit and read a book.

beachgirl said...

Hi Marie,
I am one of those who eat to live and not live to eat. My mother was 300 lbs, and my sisters all have weight issues.
I also suffer from depression and find that if I head to the gym first thing in the morning my whole day is a whole lot brighter. I tend to be a morning person.
As far as liking sweets. I love them and find it to be very cyclic with my hormonal issues. I am 49. But this has always been the case for me.
Now here is your food secrets so you feel good, look good and don't deprive yourself.
Eat 5 times a day. Smaller meals mean you don't over eat. Just smaller meals. That also prevents the snacking. 20 minutes of cardio a day. Sounds daunting doesn't it? I can't stand cardio. But I count everything as cardio. Park your car out in the parking lot and walk. Take the stairs. Vacuum.
Don't eat after 8 pm. It's something I have never made a habit of. I am a early to rise early to bed kind of girl. Cut down your drinking alcohol. Total sugar.
Now here is the kicker. If you have to have your sweets. I know I do. I eat dessert with lunch. And share it. Just a taste of sweets will cure the need to eat the whole thing. Then you have all day to burn it off. It's your treat for a great day.
I also tend to be a total carb junkie. I just don't feel full eating a salad.
Oh and water. lots of water. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and water all day. No soda, can't stand it. No dairy, lactose intolerant. And no booze. Gives me a headache. And i get nasty when I do drink.
I hope that helps.

I'm glad you got your friend to a safe place. I ran for safety 5 years ago. I am now on the other side of hell. I love it. Still alone. But thats ok. I like myself. I have my kids near by. They are all grown.

I hope you have an awesome day!

Carol

heiresschild said...

hi marie, you're doing well. i think the whole key to anything is to do it in moderation and not to excess. a lot of people tend to over-eat or eat the wrong foods for the wrong reasons, but control and self-discipline help to bring about change. i don't think there's one formula for everyone; what works for one may not work for another. each person has to find what works best for him/her.

i'm glad your friend is out of the abusive situation, and you're a good friend for helping.

JLee said...

I think you're on the right track with the moderation thing. You can have ONE cookie or ONE helping of pie, just keep the portions small and eat slow and make sure to keep up your exercise and you'll do fine! Even if you don't lose or gain one or two pounds, you can easily get it back off. Don't worry :)

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Marie,
It's nice that you were able to help somebody get out of her predicament. That must have given you some sense of accomplishment. God bless you more for that. You see, as we focused less on ourselves and see the misfortunes of others, we tend to lessen our own depressions since we are able to commiserate with another soul who is suffering. And to be able to positively help that person surely gives us a natural high. Don't worry about your eating and exercise regimens. As you take care of others, God will in turn take care of you. Congratulations on your soon to be published book. I hope it will be a resounding success. Thank God for these little blessings and more will pour on your lap. Thanks for the wonderful post. God bless and have a pleasant and peaceful day.

Miss Defective said...

My only advice for how to survive the holidays without ruining the successes you've already had with your weight loss is to not deprive yourself. The more you avoid the food, the more you're going to be taunted by the cravings.

Eat a variety of the foods you love. Just use a small salad plate for your meals because even if you load it up, you'll still have a smaller portion than if you used a full size dinner plate. Then use a small napkin for any desserts. Also, take smaller bites and put your fork down after each one. The slower you eat the better.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

heiresschild said...

thank you sid. that was good advice i'll heed to also.