Friday, September 12, 2008

A Breath Of Fresh Air!!!

This is so cool I had to share it! As you all know I am working in the "Corporation State" once again where it is "business" as usual. Yuck!!!! But there is a ray of light.

I have met several people at my job who are writers just like myself. Even though our physical selves are doing the 9 to 5 thing to make ends meet, our hearts are not really there. They are with the writing and artistry.

One of my co-workers is an older lady who has written some short stories and taking classes to develop her craft. That is a thing I would like to do in the near future. There is another lady there around my age who has a desire to write children's books. She and I talked about how I did my book and the conversation went from there. Both of these ladies read my book and asked what are my plans for it. I will answer that in a little bit.

I was on a break when I talked with a man who is currently working on a children's book and a horror novel.

I feel that I have made a connection with these people. I can talk with them about my passion for my craft and share my success and ideas for future writing projects. It is so refreshing and comforting to know that there are others out there in the "corporate" world who are in a similar situation that I am in. It is my plan to make this dream a reality.

One of the security guards at "the job" read my book and she told me that I have inspired her to want to make changes and want to deal with some of the things she is going through in her life. Her remarks filled me with such an sense of accomplishment. So you see I have succeded in a small way with this book. I have touched and insipred the life of someone else.

The book is FINALLY on amazon.com. Seeing my name up there filled me with such a sense of adulation that I did not want to come down. My roommate suggested that I buy a copy of the book and send it to Oprah Winfrey. From what I have read about her, she has experienced that kind of trauma in her own life. So I finally said to myself fuck it-go for it what do I have to lose?

My other plan for distribution is to do a mass mailing to some of the independent book stores in the Las Vegas area. I plan to make flyers with the book cover and a synopsis and ordering information. I am not worrying about the cost since I will be able to write it off on my tax return.

So needless to say that I am slowly but surely working on the dream.

10 comments:

Bleeding Heart said...

I am so happy for you! I met a lot of people in my community that writes as well and it is nice to have a support system like that.

I was fortunate to meet them before my book was published and continue to associate with them.

Maybe you can come up with a writing group between all of you- now that would be awesome!

JLee said...

It's so nice to work with people you can connect with on other personal levels. I'm lucky to have that where I work too.

Matt said...

Hey Babe,

I hate to burst your bubble, but I just went to Amazon.com and it says that your book is "out of print - limited availability". And you can't even order it. What's up with that?

Matt

Marie said...

Matt-You sure know how to be a hater. Don't you? I am working with my publisher to resolve the problem. Shut the fuck up. Nothing is perfect!!!

Miss Defective said...

Congrats! Sounds like things are really looking up for you, or at least on a steady, positive path. Made me smile to see you making another upbeat post.

Matt said...

Marie, you fat smelly twat!
Your panties are always in a knot!
Have a good look,
No one wants your book -
Amazon even shut down its slot!

Please, for the sake of humanity, stop writing your poems!!!!

Marie said...

Matt, why are you so mean to people? I bet you are still single.

So what-I am a little sensitive! Poeple have been mean to me all my life. So I guess I am sensitive to it!

Matt said...

I wasn't being mean to you, Babe. Re-read my initial post - all I said that Amazon lists the book as unavailable, and I asked what was up with that. Then you snapped back at me that I was being an asshole, using words that would make even Joan Rivers blush!

And FYI, I have been with the same guy for 13 years now. I'm actually a very nice friend to have - I can make anyone laugh at any time! Check out jlee's blog and you'll see that I post something there just about every day.

PS: My parents are in Vegas right now for a family wedding. What's your address - I'll have them drop by to meet you!

Matt said...

I'm just gonna leave you alone. I'll delete your blog from "My Favorites" and not post anymore.

Good luck with the book!

Marie said...

Matt-You don't need to go to that extreme. I do appreciate some of the good things you said.

You don't need to leave me alone. I just overreacted. I am sorry you were offended.

BTW-I live at 4418 Newhaven Drive here in Las Vegas. It is off of West Flamingo and South Tenaya Way.