Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Change Of Pace

I have often been criticized that my poems have been too depressing. I guess they only see what's on poetry.com to base their opinions on. That site only allows poems that are 20 lines or less. Some of my more uplifting poems are much longer and give hope to the reader. I am going to share with you the first poem I ever wrote called The Voice. It is a poem I wrote about my therapist Carol (who is now retired). When I think about her and our time together it always makes me smile. I have rewritten it since I first wrote it back in 2002. I usually don't post my poems here, but I thought it was time for an change of pace. I am going to post a diffrent one on the poetry blog. So here it is read and enjoy. Please feel free to comment and leave an honest opinion.


The Voice


Once I was battered and torn with no place to turn
I thought my heart and soul would forever burn.
I cried out, “please make the pain stop” but no one heard my voice,
I always felt like I never had a choice.
Years have gone by; I was searching for the answers to the hard
questions that life always asks,
I tried so desperately to remove all of the masks.
One day you came; a soft voice in the night that said, “come to me,”
Now alone and lonely I will no longer be.

Now that I have seen you and heard your voice, it says, “I am here, call me,”
You helped me to discover the truth that I was too blind to see.
The voice helps me regain my dark soul, out of the abyss and into the light,
Now I live no longer with fright.
The voice is one of tenderness and compassion; things that this cruel
world lacks,
It has given me some pretty hard whacks.
The voice says, “tell me all of doubts and fears,”
The things I have lived with for many years.

The voice is what I hear in my darkest hour; it comforts me,
It holds me, as I have always wanted to be.
The voice is the one I can only hear say that I am OKAY,
Like the child I never was, I could finally go out and play.
The voice eases my pain and sorrow of the past and
gives me hope for the future,
Now my wounded soul I can finally begin to suture.


9 comments:

Bleeding Heart said...

Great Poem. I, too was abused...I was in a very abusive marriage for ten years with three kids.

"Voice" that is they key: for those to hear our voices.

I collect poems and true stories for my upcoming book...if you are interested email me and I will tell you the guidelines.

Marie said...

I am definitely interested. I will be contacting you soon. Check out the other one on the poetry blog.

sbwrites said...

Terrific poem. You're a talented writer. Hope you post more on this site!

Susan

Marie said...

Susan, thanks so much! I also have a poetry blog. Click on the first link to get there.

JLee said...

It's ok if your poems are negative or positive! Either way, you are expressing yourself, and I'm sure your therapist appreciated those words :)

Marie said...

JLee-Yes she was honored that I wrote it for her. She has not read the rewrite though. I would like to get in touch with her so I can send her the rewrite.

Rain said...

I can really connect with this poem! Geez you are talented girlfriend! :0)

Also thanks for your support, I really have had a tough time lately. You are a wonderful friend and I am so glad that we met!

XOXO

Marie said...

Rain,thank tou so much! I hope you can do something really nice for yourself in the midst of your trying times.

I am so glad I have met you and Candy even if it is only in cyberspace.

It is a fantasy of mine to one day meet all of my blog friends.

Take care of you!

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Marie,

I love your poem. It speaks of the inner you, your longing to find someone you can relate to, someone who will understand you for who you are and not for what you are, someone you can trust with the deepest secrets you hold sacred in your heart, someone who will share your joy and commiserate with your sorrows. Everybody needs that someone. You see, at the darkest hour of our lives, when hope seems as elusive as a rainbow on a bright sunny day, the Lord will always send someone to comfort us and bring hope to our sagging spirits. Helen Keller found her teacher and mentor at the darkest hours of her life and her mentor turned her into a radiant soul, her light still flickering long after her death.

Do write and post more poems in your blog. We love you more for it. It is also cathartic, keep your mind out of your pains. God bless you and more power to your artistic inclinations.
"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1Corinthians 10:31)