Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Welcome to OUR Town!

     Jude, you had asked me to write a story about my latest misfortune using my former colleagues as characters in a story.  Well here, it is my friend.  For all my other readers enjoy laughing your asses off.  I sure did when I wrote it. If any of this offends anyone, I would encourage you not to read and comment.   I changed names and descriptions to protect myself from the not so innocent.  Enjoy!



     She steps off the bus into a new town.  It is very late and she is tired from her long journey from the last town she left.  She is filled with positive feelings and expectations.  Little does she know what is in store for her?  She has come here much to her dismay but she decides to give it a chance.    She somehow gets an uneasy feeling that this town is the same as the one she left a few years earlier.  She checks in at the cheapest motel in town, unpacks, showers, and brushes her teeth and goes to bed with anticipation of the start of her residency here in a new place.  She drifts off to sleep telling herself that it will all be okay.  

     The next morning she rises early, dresses and brushes her teeth and starts getting to know the residents of her new home.   She first goes to a local café and has a healthy breakfast.  She needs her strength if she is going to make the most of her first day here.  She leaves the café, and starts to walk down the street when she meets one of the residents.  It is a tall man about mid-forties, blonde hair, and blue eyes with a warm and friendly smile he says to her, “Good Morning my name is Mr. Passive.  I will help you anyway I can.  Please do not ask me to stand up for myself because the women in this town walk all over me and I let them get away with it.  Welcome to OUR town.”  She smiles at him, wishes him a good morning, thanks him and continues on her way.  She thinks to herself that he may be somebody she would like to get to know a little better.

     As she continues on, she runs into a woman.  She is young with red hair and beautiful green eyes.  She stops and says to her, “Hello, I am Ms. Arrogance.  You should be nice to me or I will make or break you.    I am the best think since sliced bread.  I like things done MY way.  I like things all neat and orderly.  I know everything there is to know here.  I run this town.”  She thinks that this woman is obviously a pseudo leader and she will meet the real one soon.  As with Mr. Passive, she bids her a good morning and goes about her business.  She immediately thinks that this young woman is on a power trip. She can be either your best friend or your worst enemy.  

     With all the excitement, she is a little weary so she rests for a spell on a park bench when another woman sits down next to her.  She looks about her age, brown hair and eyes.  The woman says to her, “I am Nosey Parker glad to make your acquaintance.”  As soon as she found out the name there was trouble.  Nosey Parker continues to say, “Please tell me all about yourself and I will be sure to tell everybody else what you told me because I cannot keep my mouth shut and I am always in other people’s business.”  She says these things with a high pitched voice that would drive anybody insane.  She smiles at the woman, shakes her hand and says, “Thanks I will be seeing you around.”  A red flag goes up after shortly meeting Nosey Parker.  She knows all too well not to tell this woman anything that you do not want repeated .  This translates don’t’ trust her as far as you can throw her.  She is right now running to tell everybody in town that the new one has arrived.  However, she wants to give everybody the benefit of the doubt.

     After having the exasperating experience with Nosey Parker, she rests a few moments longer.  She finally resumes her walk about town until she reaches a quaint internet café.  She immediately enters because she smells the aroma of her favorite coffee hazelnut.  She buys a cup and sits down at a terminal to check and answer e-mails from the past couple of days.  A few moments pass and another woman sits besides her.  She has bleached blonde hair and silicon breasts.  She is also carrying a handbag decorated with cows.  She says to the woman, “Cute bag, I can see you have a cow fetish going on here.”  The woman replies back to her with a bit of attitude, “Thank You and yes I do.  Let me introduce myself I am Desperate.  I come here often to this café to shop for jobs, clothes, husbands and anything else the internet has to offer.”  She replies to the woman, “Pleasure to meet you.  I hope to be seeing you around town.”  She then finishes drinking her coffee, checking her messages and then quietly leaves the café.  As she continues walking around town, she thinks WOW! what a fake.  She knows however, that you should not always judge a book by its cover.

     As she approaches her final destination, her new place of work, she enters through the back door and up the elevator.  As she steps off, she sees the cube farm lined up pretty in a row.  She now sees Mr. Passive, Ms. Arrogance, Nosey Parker and Desperate congregating together spreading their usual dose of morning cheer.  They all see her say hello and smile.  She thinks Oh My God what have I gotten myself into?  She walks over to them and says, “Hello.”  Nosey Parker says to her, “Welcome to the office there is someone who I want you to meet.”  A very tall and handsome young man with sandy blonde hair rises from his chair and says, “Hello, I am the Golden Boy.  Stick with me and you will get away with whatever you want.”  She thinks that this is going to be a place plagued with double standards.  The question remains does she play along to get along or does she play by her own rules as she has always done.  Only time will tell.  



To Be Continued…

     
     

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Marie. I read the story and I want to encourage you to keep writing it. Please continue. See you can take these buffons and use them for your art. Bravo!
Take Care Dear
Jude

Anonymous said...

Marie,
The story line is great. You have said before that you want reader opinions. So anyway, as I said, the story is great, but it is a bit hard to follow with the punctuation and some of the word choices. I am not trying to be critical at all, just helpful. Great story, really. I am very interestested to read the conclusion!

Marie said...

Thanks for the comments. Anon 11:07 what can I do to improve this? Any suggestions about word choices and punctuation? I guess I need to buy some refrence materials for these flaws instead of depending on my MS word. Thanks for the sincerity and honesty.


Jude, thanks for the vote of confidence. I can really use it right now.

Pirate said...

I am having a problem finding your email address to find out more about the playdate.

Miss Defective said...

So far so good...LOL. The descriptions of the people sound eerily familiar. I think those types all exist in "cube farms", love that reference by the way. I was always Ms. Let's Share With Her. Everyone would tell me everything. I knew things about people I worked with that I probably shouldn't have known. But everyone knew I'd keep quiet. I liked knowing everything, tho I wasn't nosey and pursued the info on my own, people just dropped it in my lap. Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate the comments. Hope you don't mind but I put a link to your blog on mine.
Take care.
Sid

Shannin said...

In regards to the 11:07 comment, I wouldn't call them "flaws" at all, though... I think it was in reference to style... play with your words... use a thesaurus... they are right, the story is great... have fun with it!

Marie said...

Sid/Shannin-Thanks for the comments.
Sid, I do not mind at all that you link my blog to yours. I am glad you understand the meaning of the story. One of my former readers accused me of insulting her by the description of Ms Arrogance. She actually thought I was talking about her which was not the case. She then proceded to call me a lying psychotic which is so very sad. Please take care of yourself. It is the best thing you can do.

Shannin, thanks for the comments. After today, I could really use them. I used them to emphasize the points I was trying to make. Read about your Thanksgiving. Let me take this opportunity to say that I am very happy that you and Blither are becoming great friends. It makes life a little bit easier if you have someone in your life that understands and relates to what you are going through. It is my hope that I will meet someone like that someday. I look forward to meeting her and you at the blogger playdate.

Both of you take care. Please drop by any time.