Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"COME IN OUT OF THE DARKNESS"

     This is a line from a song written by one of my favorite artists.  Can anyone guess who it is?  This post is very lengthy and is broken down into two parts.  Enjoy!

     As I have mentioned, the Out Of The Darkness community walk for suicide prevention and awareness here in Nevada was held on this past Saturday.  Due to last minute circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to participate in the walk.  I was very sad, disappointed and filled with regret that I could not walk to honor Brittany’s memory and support the cause.  However, I did get some facts about the walk but more importantly, I got a story of healing.  Approximately 150 people gathered to walk and raised several thousands of dollars for this cause.  The organizers characterized the walk as a great success.  I am going to do my best to describe the walk and its atmosphere and share my thoughts and feelings about it.

          They were gathered there together on a windy and cool but sunny autumn morning. They are gathered here to support a sad reality of their lives. Someone they loved committed suicide.  Music was played to honor the victims, tears were shed to release the pain for loved ones lost.  As the ones who are left behind to soldier on, they walk and shared stories about their loved ones and reminisced about bittersweet memories.  They are also there to send a message to others: let us be the only ones who have to live with this pain, please help us and hear our cry for help but we are not alone.  Afterwards, they rested for a while, refreshed their bodies, talked again with others, wished them well and went their separate ways.

     Even though the walk is held on an annual basis, the participants live with the pain and memories of their loved ones every day of their lives.  To me, the walk was not about raising money, it was about taking a small step in healing their broken hearts.  Let me share with you a few lines from a poem that I am working on.  It is simple in nature, but reveals a powerful truth.

     “Pain gets in and becomes a blackness that seeps into your chest,
       If you can’t feel and release it, you will never be at your best.”

     “Pain waits for you it has no place to go,
        Even though it knows that you are slow.”

     I would like to take an opportunity to send a message to someone who was at the walk that I did not get the pleasure to meet.  I am happy that you were there, walked, and took the time to feel the pain and grieve for your loved one.  I sincerely hope you will continue to heal.  Melissa Etheridge wrote, “If I am to heal, I must first learn to feel…in the ruins.”

     With that quote, let me begin the second part of the post.  This past week I have been dealing with a very unpleasant situation.  They are a common occurrence in every day life.  Angry words and feelings were exchanged, feelings hurt and people are divided.  In dealing with this situation, I had an epiphany and as a result, I am now writing and compiling a book of my poems and other writings.

     For me, this book is going to accomplish several things.  First, it is going to be my only way to express my feelings of anger, rage, frustration and sadness.  Second, it will finally tell the people in my life how I feel about things that have happened to me in my life.  It is my hope that they will FINALLY understand.  Thirdly, and most importantly it will be a big step towards healing and bringing myself (and I hope others) out of the darkness. Let me end with another quote from the same song that I referred to in the beginning.  It serves as a message to those people in my life who have no idea who I am and how I feel.

          “And the woman may be awestruck
            And the woman may truly care
            but the woman is so tired…
                   So the woman disappears...

           Come in out of the darkness”

     By writing this book and posting on this blog, I hope it will be a small step to finally “Come In Out Of The Darkness.”



10 comments:

JLee said...

Yes I do!! "Belladonna" by Stevie! Love that song...sounds like a great cause.

JLee said...

Another song came to mind that Stevie wrote for Joe Walsh after the death of his daughter: "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You" She sings "If not for me then, do it for yourself..if not for me then, do it for the world" like she was telling him you have to go on and live your life despite your grief, for yourself and your loved ones.

Marie said...

You got it right. Thank you so much for playing. I do like the other song you mentioned. When I hear that song I think of Brittany saying to me "If not for me then do it for yourself, if not for me then do it for the world." This is why I believe in this cause, and that is why I am writing the book. For one reason and one reason only, For hope Brittany's mom can heal from her pain and go on with her life, and I can heal and get on with mine. Thanks for the comments.

Shannin said...

what a great description of that day....that is EXACTLY what it was like......i did get to grieve for the first time (sober) and cry and talk about the girl i was so in love with for so long.....thank you for writing such beautiful words....

Mary Alice said...

Marie,

This entry is amazing! I’ll comment more about this next week. In fact your entry was so moving that I decided to write this poem. It is for you. I hope that it helps ease your pain. I guess I could not help but put myself in your position. When someone dies we wonder where they are going to go. Well, that is a long conversation but I hope you like my work. Trust me I understand your position and that is all I’m going to say.


The Immaculate
Broken glass lay around her mangled body

My consciousness drifts into…void?
A moment of silence and then rush
As I walk through the valley of death I will feel no pain or sorrow
Will I?
The ones that I love crowed around my slowly rotting carcass and cry
Has my death erased my pain?
A pain, which now has ignited pain within the ones that I love
My sole stands in the balance
Even though I am no longer living I can still feel
the cold wind of oblivion creeping up my spin
I am empty but not alone

Her cold white stiff face wrapped in deaths shroud is still beautiful
A lost angle that has fallen from grace
Her soul cradled by her purity
will find its way through deaths long journey
She will never be alone!

Mary Alice

Mary Alice said...

oh and thanks for backing me up on Austen's blog.

Mary Alice

Mary Alice said...

Marie,

Oh Marie, I hope that I have not caused any problems. Why did you have a falling out? Was it because of my poem? I’m sorry; I was only trying to help! I never meant to hurt anyone. If you ever want to talk about anything, just come to my site and vent all you want! Please take care and don’t let anything get to you. Marie, you did help, you got the word out about this horrible reality! Anyways, I’m not going to respond to that crap (the Warrior thing). I’m pretty surprised that so many people (even anons) have been defending me!

Mary Alice

Mary Alice said...

Marie,

I will definitely buy your book! Keep following your dreams. I don’t know your sister-in-law, but it seems as if she is just being overly sensitive. Your sister-in-laws reaction is fairly normal. She has lost her daughter and is unfortunately, misdirecting her anger. When we lose a loved one we are often times angry and almost looking for someone to place blame or even fight with. I guess it’s a strange way of not to dealing with reality. Her daughters’ unfortunate death was broadcast on the news, so its not like you are divulging something that she has discussed with you in confidence. Marie, you never revealed the exact details of her daughters’ death, so I don’t understand why she would be mad at you.

I have always loved speaking with others. I guess the reason why I decided to start a blog was because I wanted to post my ideas in a public forum for the world to read. I have always believed that an idea is not truly developed until it has been scrutinized picked at and debated over. That is why I wanted to discuss the issues that I initially proposed. I’m sorry my blog is not really interesting right now, but I assure you it will get better. I have never turned my back on others, nor will I ever. I love speaking with you. You’re a cool lady. Talk to you soon. Oh and I tried to email you over the myspace thing. I don’t know if it worked, but I just wanted to support your new site.

Mary Alice

Mary Alice said...

Marie,

I’m fine. Things are pretty normal. I have been writing. ‘T is the season, if you know what I mean. Anyways, my last paper discussed the basic conventions of an initiation story and compared two.

Mary Alice

Mary Alice said...

Marie,

Come checkout my blog. Please take the test and share your results.

MA