Monday, December 05, 2005

Religion vs Spirituality

My friend Melissa sent me this recent column from The Boston Globe. The gist of the column is this:


Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell.

Spirituality is for people who have already been there.



I loved this so much that I wanted to share this with all my blog friends. I have been asking myself lately is there a difference between religion and spirituality. It looks like I got my answer. I think all of us who suffer from mental illness have been to hell and back again with no relief in sight. I have a real hard time with this concept of "religion." Organized religion for me personally is a bunch of bullshit. If it helps the masses get through life great! It just does not work for me. It is filled with dos and donts, callous rules and standards et cetera.

Spirituality on the other hand is a zest for life. It is a feeling of connection and being a part of the life around you. I have not achieved this yet. I don't know if I ever will.

6 comments:

Miss Defective said...

Haha...I really like that, though I don't have spirituality either cuz I'm still in hell.

Marie said...

So am I Sid, so am I

You and Me said...

interesting pespective---i hope one day to say i have become a spiritual person--goodness knows i would love to be released from the hell inside my mind--i just have to find the way--like the rest of us i have been blessed with a mind tormented by demons who don't seem to be very helpful in my quest---in fact i swear they have the map and just won't give it up.

lyns,
marie

Shannin said...

this very quote regarding sprituality and religion is heard millions of times in AA/NA.... i tend to agree... though, i don't feel i have reached sprituality either... i definitly despise religion... blach....
take care girl....oh, you know what... i have something from the walk for you that i have totally forgotten about....

Shannin said...

uh...sorry im retarded and didn't finish that... it is the visor that was made by brittany's mom for everyone who walked for her... i figure you have more sentimental value for it.... so, i saved it for you....

mizeeyore said...

i agree with you 1000 percent about spirituality. it is a zest for life and aint nothing wrong with that. i have issues with these "bible-thumpers" who wanna shove their beliefs down our throats...i say "step the fuck off"
i too have a problem with organized religion. there's a lot of hypocrisy with the "do as i say not as i do" shit. i grew up as a black Muslim and i believe that's the reason why i'm on medication today LOL


btw thanks for posting on my blog! you rock!